Become a part of our statewide movement to ensure that every child enters kindergarten prepared to succeed and on a path to read to learn by third grade.
A Sample of our Advocacy Efforts
- GEEARS supported the creation of a House Study Committee on Infant and Toddler Social-Emotional Health during the 2019 legislative session.
- GEEARS advocated for increased state investments in the Childcare and Parent Services (CAPS) Program in recent years, resulting in an additional $5.5 million in 2017 and $500,000 in 2019.
- In response to severe funding cuts to Georgia’s Pre-K program in 2011, GEEARS and partners advocated to restore the school year to a full 180 instructional days, and funding for Pre-K is higher than it has ever been. In addition, the Governor and the Georgia General Assembly approved Pre-K teacher salary increases in 2017 and 2019.
Support Early Childhood Efforts in Your Community
- Enhance an early learning center’s library by donating complex storybooks. For a list of suggested books, email Mindy Binderman, Executive Director.
- Volunteer to read to a class- but first, watch this video by the Atlanta Speech School for important tips.
- Help us ensure that every family of a child under five in Atlanta has a summer filled with enriching literacy activities by being a part of the GEEARS-led Mayor’s Summer Reading Club. Learn more.
- Encourage providers to participate in Quality Rated.
- Encourage families to attend on-time well visits and participate in developmental screenings.
Support Early Childhood Through Philanthropy
- Partner with us to improve the quality of early education in Georgia.
- Make a donation to GEEARS to support our work.
Spread the Word
- We all interact with children- either our own children, grandchildren, neighbors, or just the children we see in restaurants and other public places. Be intentional with these interactions, and let every moment make a difference. Learn more about how you and your community can support early brain development with the Build My Brain course.
- Become a Champion for early childhood by joining our First 2000 Days Campaign.
- Share the Quality Rated child care system and search tool with friends and family searching for quality, child care in Georgia.
- Host a house party with GEEARS to educate your friends about the importance of early education. Email Mindy Binderman, Executive Director.
Support Early Childhood in Your Workplace
- Support family friendly employment practices:
- Give employees time off to attend their children’s doctor’s appointments and events at their children’s schools.
- Ensure that your human resources department has information about Quality Rated to share with employees.
- Promote employee satisfaction and retention- and future workforce development- by ensuring that your employees have access to to comprehensive medical benefits and high-quality, affordable early education programs for their young children.
- Visit our business toolkit for more information.