Explore literacy resources for young children below.
BookSmart is a free app from Worldreader that allows busy parents to read picture books with their children on their smart phones or tablets.
VIDEO STORYTIME FROM VOLUNTEERS
Do You Love The Dark Read Aloud Video – Jasmyn K. Adwaters, M.S.
Instructional Support Coach YMCA Greater Atlanta
Videos: Babies Off Book
Shake up your weekly routine with this sensory story time for infants and toddlers. Alliance Theatre teaching artists will guide you through a free weekly multi-sensory experience engaging the voice, body, and imagination. New videos uploaded once a week.
- In the West End (2020 MSRC book selection)
- In My Granny’s Garden (2019 MSRC book selection)
- The Tortoise and the Hare
- 10 Little Rubber Ducks
In My Granny’s Garden (2019 MSRC book selection)
ATLANTA SPEECH SCHOOL – Cox Campus
- Pop-Up Early Learning (Enroll in virtual preschool)
- Early Language Strategies that Build Emergent Literacy Skills
- Roadmap to Reading
- Virtual Storytime playlist
- Point. Act. Tell. (PAT) Strategy
CHILDREN’S MUSEUM OF ATLANTA
- Activity Guide: Plant a Seed Cup
- Activity Guide: Create a Picture Frame
- Activity Guide: Design a Building
- Activity Guide: Make Your Own Clay
FULTON COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
- Get Your Library Card Online
- eRead Kids – Free eBooks available through every public library in Georgia
- Register for the Summer Reading Program (Log your reading to earn badges and prizes)
- Free Online Continuing Education Classes (Related to parenting & early childhood development)
STORYTIME ON NETFLIX
Bookmarks: Celebrating Black Voices. Celebrity readers share children’s books by Black authors to spark kid-friendly conversations about empathy, equality, self-love and antiracism.
Interactive Resources for Early Literacy Enrichment:
- Alive Studios offers over 80 videos that are perfect for engaging young children and enriching early literacy and math skills
- Interactive Alphabet Chart featuring videos from the Alphabet Zoo Crew
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: 2020 MAYOR’S SUMMER READING CLUB KICK OFF EVENT
Check out our 8th annual Mayor’s Summer Reading Club kick-off event! The virtual party features Mayor Bottoms, GEEARS Board Chair Stephanie Blank, conversations with the creators and read-a-louds of our 2020 book selections Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey and Tom Lichtenheld and In the West End by Will Power, Illustrated by R. Gregory Christie. Check out the event on the Alliance Theatre’s Facebook page here.
- Mayor Bottoms’ introduction to Mayor’s Summer Reading Club 2020 Book selections – 6:58-8:44
- Stephanie Blank, GEEARS Board Chair, introduction to Mayor’s Summer Reading Club – 8:45-12:43
- Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site reading by Alliance Theatre teaching artist, Jenna Jackson 12:44-19:06
- Conversation with the creators of the In the West End featuring the author, Will Power, illustrator R. Gregory Christie, and Chris Moses Director of Education and Associate Artistic Director at the Alliance Theatre 19:15-36:18
- In the West End reading by author Will Power 36:22-40:45